Tuesday, May 15, 2012

We are who we are.


Over the years, "The Lorenc girls" has sort of become a catch phrase. Growing up we were well known at church, in the youth group, extended family, at school, etc. We were in the 'good girl' category with the grand assumption (and lie) that we had it together and never did anything wrong. Well, contrary to popular belief, we definitely have our issues. We dont always agree, we dont always do the right thing, and we definitely dont always have it together. However, sometimes, when we're all in the same place, something magic happens. Abby Jane recently used the word magic to define my mother. She's right- we definitely get this from Mama. It's not the mystical kind but the real kind, that is only possible by the grace and love of a Father who wants his children to see him. And this weekend it happened. The oldest sister, full of wisdom and confidence and assurance in things hoped for, came into town. It was a last minute choice but one that definitely hit the spot. The next one down, sweeter and gentler than anyone I've ever known, who laughs easily and trusts fully, lives just north of the home we grew up in, with a faithful and loving husband who has been an incredible addition to our unit. And the baby of our sisterhood, created to worship and to direct people back to the one true God (a task she has grown into quite well), is currently in transition, hybernating in the safest place I can imagine, protected by a fiercely loving mother and father who believe fully in her ability and talent. So there we all were. A sweet moment frozen in time - laughter filling the halls of a house that has been full for years, tears streaming over life and love and where we are going from here, and conversations floating in and out of rooms about what we have learned and how we know God more now than we did the last time we were together. This weekend the moment lingered even longer, as we all decided to take a vacation day and reconnect on Monday. I cannot think of a better way to spend a day off than by listening and receiving a refill of hope, faith, trust, love and peace that somehow evades our lives when we forget who we are. That happens to me sometimes. I just forget. It's why I need community in my life to remind me that regardless of what I do, who I am stays consistent - and is much more important. This weekend they reminded me of the hope I have - and assured me that if I dont have it, they will carry it for me. They reminded me that I was created for a purpose and that God has not forgotten me. They reminded me that prayer and communion with the living God is what I'm lacking and what I'm needing. They reminded me that I am not what I do, but I belong to I AM and that's what defines me.
That's what the Lorenc girls are to me. Family - The best kind of family. My life would be less full without them and I know that when I forget who I am, the reminder is just a phone call away. They have shaped me, They know me and love me anyway.
We are not perfect. We can be difficult to be around and we dont always see straight, but when we're together, sometimes it's magic.

1 comment:

  1. This is how I feel about my sisters. I love the time we get to spend together too. You said it best. It is magic. *chill bumps*

    ReplyDelete