Thursday, October 18, 2012

and the Oscar goes to...

Growing up we acted like we were the same age. I was only 18 months older so virtually every stage of life was stepped into together. She is my only little sister and for that I am so thankful. We are best friends and we understand each other most of the time. We used to play invisible uno together and enjoyed calling each other to invite the other over for a sleepover (literally we used the phone in my mom's office and the home phone and would call to see if the other one wanted to come spend the night - hysterical laughter always ensued because let's be honest we are funny). We would make up plays and dances and songs (one major hit as I recall, right Ke?).
But over the years, differences emerged. I found a nitch for organization and communication and this little one found a free spirit and stage lights. After years of practicing and performing, today the baby is going to perform in her first play as a paid actress. We are ecstatic. And of course we are acting like we're going to the Oscar's - seems there is a dramatic flare in this whole family! Roll out the red carpet because this is the Keila Christine Lorenc. She will play the lead role and I know she will blow me away, as is usual for one of her plays. She can be funny, serious, emotional, dramatic, lighthearted, or just about anything else. And she is believable. The minute she steps onto the stage something happens to her - it's like I forget she's my sister and start believing she is someone entirely different. It is thrilling. The gift of live theater is often overlooked, but I am lucky - I have a sister who is passionate about it, who never lets me forget to respect the theater, and who has the rare ability to listen, understand and interpret. Someday we'll be sitting among the stars, listening as a clip from her most recent success is played and then the presenter will say those words we all know so well... but the thing is, whether she wins or not doesn't matter. Because I will know that she has poured her heart and soul into this. I will know that she cried and lost sleep and loved every second. And I will know, even if we never get there, that this girl has got it. She found courage and she is out there doing it.

So, today I am the proudest big sister around (well we'll say tied for proudest sister, with two others who will also be front and center).

Break a leg, dear one. I cannot wait to see you step onto the stage tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment