Friday, November 8, 2013

Thanks for Being My Friend

Today I am so thankful for old friends who know the truth and aren't afraid to speak it. I sat at dinner tonight with a girl I have known for most of my life. We met around the third grade when I wished that I could be her because she had way better hair than me (beautiful, thick, red hair) and could still a crowd with her voice. She was given (completely deserved) the lead in our church musical and I was overcome with jealousy. I sometimes think that I am more gifted in the singing department than I actually am and in the third grade, when she got to sing the solo in "Thanks for Being My Friend," I thought my life was over. It wasn't. I survived and we moved on and became inseparable in early high school. Since then our paths have crossed at divine times. She boldly speaks truth into mine and I laugh hysterically at her stories and her passion. She loves the Lord.
Tonight I was letting her in on my struggle with discontentment and consistent wondering if I am making the right decisions and she calmly listened and replied that we have much to be thankful for because our decisions don't really matter. This, of course, caused me pause because I have developed the destructive habit of thinking that my decisions absolutely have the power to perfect or destroy my life. Oh how wrong I have been. My decisions do not determine my joy (just imagine the turmoil that would cause); it is the Lord who is constantly at work in me for his glory alone. Hallelujah. She quoted to me Isaiah 54:10 (which I am now looking up in my Bible):

"For the mountains may depart and the hills be removed, but my steadfast love shall not depart from you, and my covenant of peace shall not be removed," says the Lord, who has compassion on you.

In other words, regardless of your situation or circumstance, no matter where you find yourself or what turmoil is occurring around you, the Lord is steadfast. He has compassion on you and he will not remove his covenant of peace. His covenant of peace... I don't understand this completely, but I am confident that it is truth and I am choosing to remind myself to be thankful - for grace and mercy and peace - all given to me regardless of my ridiculous mess or behavior or anxiety.
For Jesus said:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.

Peace, dear friends. Today, I am thankful for peace.


1 comment:

  1. I love this! And I'm loving that verse. I've also been reading and reading Psalm 16 after Matt pulled from it Sunday. The whole thing is good, but I've been stuck on the verse he talked about (v.11), "You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."

    ReplyDelete