Thursday, December 6, 2012

fluorescent lights

Confession: every time I type the word fluorescent I get the squiggly red line because I cannot for the life of me spell it correctly. Honestly though I am okay with that. It is not a word I feel like I need in my vocabulary. I would like to have a conversation with the person who decided to use fluorescent lights in office buildings. I believe that it might be the cause of so many people being unhappy at work. Why not just put sky lights in the office so that people can have a shot at seeing the sun every once in awhile, huh? I mean seriously. In my office I have these teeny tiny windows that are like 10 feet off the ground so even adjusting the blinds is not happening. Maybe I should get one of those long cane-like poles with the grabber on the end so that I can reach... or maybe the person who built this office should have really thought this through! Instead they put windows way too high, that barely let any light in anyway and two massive fluorescent (squiggly line again) lights in the ceiling. Yesterday these lights really got to me. I was truly just fowl at work. And since I don't want to blame the lack of sleep the night before, I decided to blame the lights. At about 1pm I was in serious need of more caffeine and just over the day. Unfortunate because the real part of my day happens at like 2:30 so I needed a drastic attitude adjustment. I left work, not intending to really change the mood, but drove with my windows down, blaring country music, as a last ditch effort to turn it around. As I pulled into Sonic, I got a heytell from one of my best friends asking if I thought she should get a Sonic drink since she was having a rough day. Great minds think alike - I'm sure she has fluorescent lights hovering over her all day too. Of course I told her that she absolutely should go to Sonic, which I'm sure she probably expected. Typically I get heytell questions from her when she already knows my answer and just wants someone to approve of the decision (should I get another cup of coffee? always yes. is it time for dr pepper? absolutely. is ice cream in the plan for tonight? it is now! do you think i should buy a new dress? pair of shoes? jewelry? text me a pic but 9 times out of 10, affirmative.) Somehow just hearing from her made my cold, fierce, dont-talk-to-me-I-want-to-go-back-to-bed self soften a little. Then the guy at Sonic asked if I was moving because literally I have a car packed full of stuff. I giggled - nope this is just how my car looks on a normal Wednesday. He was embarrassed and so was I - just a little. But I laughed and then the shell broke.
So with my vanilla dr pepper in hand, Taylor Swift on the radio, windows down and 70 degree weather, I drove. And let myself forget about the fluorescent lights and emails and phone calls. It was sort of like hitting reset on the whole day. Saying, this morning was not really who I want to be so let's start over - retry. Sometimes I let myself sit in the rut and sometimes I don't under any circumstance want to be talked out of my fowl mood, but sometimes I'll let it fizzle out and sometimes I'll decide to allow a circumstance to adjust the frame of mind and honestly - that's a decision I never regret.

1 comment:

  1. I got a vanilla Dr. Pepper too!!! Oh Sonic, you're the best!

    ReplyDelete