Tuesday, December 4, 2012

grace has a name

This song has been running through my head all morning... I don't know who sings it so I am not sure who the credit goes to but here are the words I can remember...
You are the Light, Bethlehem's Son, Hope of the World, The Glorious One.
The Savior to all is with us tonight. You are the Light.
Now the whole world will not be the same cause Love has come down and Grace has a name.
The name of the child is Jesus Christ. You are the Light.

Today is the 4th anniversary of the day my best friend's mother went to meet the Savior of the world. Still I have a hard time believing that this actually happened and will forever be a part of the life story of one of the most incredible women I know. Tricia Bradley was one of the kindest, most compassionate, caring, hilarious people and all who knew her were blessed because of her hopeful nature. She used to pull through the drive through at Wendy's just because she was in the mood for some french fries and if she knew I would be hanging out at her house (as I did most afternoons my senior year), she would share some with me - a woman after my own heart! Her laugh filled the kitchen and living room at the Bradley house and she warmly greeted everyone that came through the door. She actually knew the friends of her kids - not like our names, but who we were and what we were all about. She faithfully attended prayer groups to seek wisdom for parenting and protection for her kids. She encouraged everyone she knew to pursue a deeper faith and understanding of the One True God and gave advice not only when asked but also when needed (rarely did the two happen at the same time). She taught me how to ice a cake when her daughter and I insisted on baking cakes in the shapes of letters for our friend's birthdays. She walked through pain beautifully, hopeful and confident in the truth she treasured. She sent care packages to college for Amanda (and luckily taught her to share) and when I asked, she would talk to me on the phone, even though really she had called to talk to her daughter. She was always busy, but still always had time for long talks or shopping trips. Soon after she went home, I remember hoping that time would just stand still - that if only we could stay close to the actual date of her goodbye to earth, we would never forget who she was or what she wanted so badly to teach us. But as always, time went on. People would say that time would heal a lot and maybe it has, but I would hate to give time too much credit. The thing is that there is no way I would be who I am or have made it this far without the Lord's protection and provision in my life and the life of my friend's. My dear friend, who has courageously taken steps in this journey that she was called to, has in many ways become like the woman who raised her. She was given her eyes and smile and hints of her voice, but the older we get, the more I can see her mom's caring heart and compassionate spirit in the way Amanda loves the people around her. It is an incredible gift that only the Lord could have given. So today I will remember Mama Bradley and her unique ability to make me feel welcome and valued, but I will also remember that I have seen and experienced tangible grace. The credit for the major steps that have been taken in my life and my friend's can only go to the Hope of the World. I am thankful today that Grace has a name and that I am able to walk in communion with Him daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment