Monday, December 3, 2012

a little late but still thankful

Somehow December crept up on me. I knew it was coming and had braced myself for this season, but still I am in awe that today is December 3rd. I laid in bed last night regretting not writing a Thanksgiving blog over the long break that I had. There were several moments that if I could have frozen them, taken a picture and posted it, I would have because they were so beautiful. And I wanted to share them with the world. Holidays are definitely different as an adult- some things sweeter and some more obviously harsh than I ever knew they would be. Thankfully, time with my sisters has grown more and more precious. This past break we got a lot of time together - more than most breaks - and we know it won't happen this way every time so even in the moment we reminded ourselves to be incredibly thankful. There are times when we look back on times together and somehow the memory is sweeter than the time actually was. However, this time, that is not the case. We were aware in the moment of how precious this time together really was. Someone would pause mid conversation, just to take in the laughter and lighthearted voices, as we played Rummikub or Phase 10 and would say, almost at a whisper we are so blessed. and, truly, we are. There is much to be thankful for so even though I missed the golden opportunity to publicly declare my Thanksgiving list, I still think it's important so I am going to claim a "better late than never" on this one and just go for it...
1. My family, who demonstrates grace and patience to me daily and are truly beautiful. We're not perfect, but I wouldn't want to be a part of any other mess.
2. Amanda, who knows my secrets and loves me anyway - and for her husband, Will, who sacrifices time with the most precious one in his life so that my best friend and I can still have time together.
3. My roommates, who have to endure my verbal unloading of the struggles throughout my day and who willingly share in celebrations and pain.
4. This current bizarre stage of life - because even though I wonder sometimes how long I will feel like I'm in transition (maybe all of life is just that...), I have experienced grace and a deeper faith because of it.
5. Baby Caleb, who even in his mother's womb has already reminded me several times of the faithfulness that God promises. I am overwhelmed with joy as I hope for the day I get to meet him.
6. Sounds and smells of Thanksgiving Day, that my wonderful hostess of a Mama allows to flow through the halls and rooms of her house each year - rejoicing, weeping, fighting, laughing - scents of home-cooked foods and apple pies, as the women rush around preparing dishes while my dad bravely carves the turkey.
7. Late nights and a job that gives me holiday breaks so that I can enjoy them. Sometimes my favorite conversations occur over a simple card game, a dr. pepper and you've got mail (usually beginning at midnight) with one of my favorite people.
8. Coffee. There is something so soothing about holding a warm mug and letting yourself ease into the day while sitting at a familiar kitchen table, with the people you love most.
9. Dancing, with my sisters, cousins, their kids or friends, to Taylor Swift's new album and loving the freedom to laugh and enjoy each other.
10. Beauty - whether it's in people, things, nature, actions, voices, or sights, it reminds me that the God of The Universe sees me. He fought a battle for me once before and he will again. Beauty gives me hope that there is something so much greater to look forward to.

So even though Thanksgiving has passed, don't forget the things you had reminded yourself  to be thankful for. Don't forget the many reasons you have to celebrate. And when you do forget, or when the fluorescent lights in your office or school are blocking the memory, step outside, close your eyes and stand in the sunshine. Then slowly allow yourself to sink back in to the mindset that you don't deserve even this moment, but you've been given a gift.
And then, remind yourself to be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment