Monday, August 5, 2013

"you know there are those key moments...



in life when it's possible you can be really, genuinely cool and I'm going to fail just a hundred percent!"

Well it's days like today that really make me laugh at myself. I struggled earlier this morning as I thought about what to introduce you all to today. And I wasn't feeling super inspired. I had to fight with an insurance company and a car shop about fixing my car and the time at work has just been passing by so nothing was really coming to mind. So there I was shopping at my all time favorite, home away from home store when it came to me, but not before a stupidly embarrassing moment (don't feel too bad - this is pretty much par for the course...) I'm standing in the deli section intently reading every ingredient on the pre-made salad boxes (I started a new cleaner eating sort of thing today - more on that later) to make sure there was no sugar in the dressing when I heard a guy a little ways behind me telling a little girl that she was going to eat salad for lunch. The little girl responded that she didn't like salad - it was gross and she wasn't going to have any. The guy answered back again that she was absolutely going to try it. This went back and forth a few times as they approached the deli counter. The guy left his cart and walked up next to me to begin examining the salad as well. As he picked one up, he asked which one I thought was the best and commented that it looked like I had really done my research... haha. I replied "Not hardly, but I think I'll go with the chicken, apple salad." At that point, I looked up into a tan face and beautiful blue eyes and of course glanced at the left hand where no ring could be found. He made another remark about needing to pick the best option and sideways glanced at the little girl who was still pouting. And instead of being really smooth, calm, collected, quick-witted and confident (I mean let's be honest - even one of those attributes would have been great), but no instead, some sort of mumble jumble came out of my mouth about his hands being full - stuttering ever so slightly, my face turning redder by the moment. And that was it. I turned and walked away wondering why I couldn't get it together and furthermore why I would have chosen such a rude statement in the one moment I had. It would have been way too easy to light-heartedly comment on how important it was to choose the correct salad or to say something to the little girl about how she should give salad a chance. Or even if I had decided to go the "hands full" route, I could have at least followed it up with how cute the girl was... But no I just landed on "wow you've got your hands full." Ugh. Unfortunate for sure. And since that encounter all I can think of are better endings to that story.
But, as I was hanging my head in shame at the check out line and barely listening to the couple of beeps, it hit me!
Today's Meet-Someone-New Monday
has to do with my favorite store in the entire world,

Now, I know I have an extremely loyal tendency so once I pick something, that's it. And for me, Target has been the go-to for years. Some weeks I actually go to Target more days than I do not go to Target. Sometimes I go twice in one day. I go on bad days, on good days, when I need nail polish, a new shirt, shoes, a greeting card, or when I need to pick up lunch. I buy gifts there and almost never leave without something really fun in tow. Last week, after searching at several other stores for a certain type of battery, I thought I would just check at Target since I was already there anyway and low and behold, they had it. I am telling you I'm a believer. And today just confirmed it even more. So there I was, kicking myself for the lack of etiquette, as the cashier says "That'll be $6.75" ***Note: Never in my entire life have I made it through this store with a less than $10 purchase. I am telling you this alone is an absolute miracle! And then I swiped my Target Debit card and the amount immediately changed to $6.13. How could you not perk up after something like that. I just saved money! The great thing is that every time I go to Target this happens. You see over New Years last year, my Aunt Sheryl told me I just had to get a Target Debit card. I know what you're thinking. I was skeptical too! But ultimately her wise words won me over and I gave in. She told me and now I'm telling you that since this is not a credit card, you eliminate the risk of interest. You see, Target came up with an idea to create brand loyalty. They connect to your bank and have a debit card system that works just like your bank debit card, only at Target. So you swipe just the same, enter your pin just the same and the money exits your account just the same. The only difference? You save 5% on every purchase - did you hear me? EVERY PURCHASE! So when I bought my travel gear for Guatemala, 5%; when I needed new clothes for my birthday, 5%; when I'm in the mood to buy my nephew something (which turns out to be always), 5%. And the thing is, I would have been shopping there anyway because I already had that kind of brand loyalty. So thanks, Target, for giving me one more reason to shop at my favorite store - not that I needed it :)
I am passing on this information so that you (yes, you) will jet out to your nearest Target pronto. I can't promise a blue-eyed beau, but I don't think you'll regret the 5% savings, ever :)
Happy Shopping!

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain, Katie. Once someone called me and this was the conversation.

    me: hello?
    them: hey, it's ___
    me: oh hey, it's Kaylee
    them: ya...i know...i called you.

    steller.

    ReplyDelete